[MlMt] Applying default columns to smart mailboxes

Tue Oct 11 10:06:51 EDT 2016

On 11 Oct 2016, at 13:11, yet at gmx.de wrote:

> I created several smart mailboxes and I want the same column layout as
> all other folders.
> „Revert to default columns“ does not work for smart mailbox. Also
> newly created mailboxes
> do not use the default columns by default…why is this the case?

As I've admitted in the past, saving column states is partly broken. And
even if wasn't partly broken, it's not sufficiently flexible (and
explicit) to configure.

> This functionality is basic
> and key functionality of any email application. It is broken in
> Mailmate app for a very long time.
> Why isn’t it possible to fix this?

Naturally, it's possible to fix, but I just haven't done it yet. This is
true for my entire list of reported bugs and requests for
improvements/features -- and it's a long list.

> Instead we see new „features“ introduced with very release that
> are of interest for very few ppl.

I've primarily done bug fixes since the release of 1.9.5. To the extent
that I'm quite a bit behind on answering emails and support tickets
(including the mailing list - sorry about that).

> Please work on the basics instead of investing time and resources into
> features for a small minority.

MailMate users would never be able to agree on what is most important to
fix or add first and most MailMate users probably also use some feature
which was implemented for a minority.

<rant on>
What does get fixed/added is always going to be what I'm motivated to
fix/add. I'm not a robot. This is where I can perhaps give you a little
hint. It's **not** on purpose, but I've noticed that I'm demotivated
every time there's a negative outburst here, on Twitter, or in the
ticket system. I guess it's just human nature. Negativity is contagious.
You have repeatedly made it clear that you really don't like MailMate or
how I develop MailMate and that is completely fair, but I did hear you
the first time. You are always welcome to remind me of a long-standing
bug, but there's no need to add passive-aggressive questions/comments.
It's counter-productive if you want the issue fixed. I'm sufficiently
embarrassed just by being reminded of a bug.
<rant off>

That said, this issue and some related issues are really something I'd
like to improve. I'll do my best to be motivated to focus on that soon.

*To all the other members of the list: Please do not join this email
thread if it's not to discuss the bug itself.*