[MlMt] Mailmate et Inbox

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Mon Oct 3 22:07:04 EDT 2016

On 3 Oct 2016, at 16:08, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 3 Oct 2016, at 16:50, Alain Israel wrote:
>
>> Indeed, but I was wondering whether « Important » is part of
>> these standard keywords, as it could be used as an all purpose tag,
>> while *flagged, seen, junk* have a specific function.
>
> I don't think so. The Exchange server I have access to has this
> response:
>
> 	* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Seen \Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Draft
> $MDNSent)] Permanent flags
>
> This means that the server supports the listed keywords and nothing
> else. I don't know if this is in any way configurable by the server
> administrators. I also don't know how/if `$MDSSent` is used by
> Exchange. Maybe it can be misused to get a single server-synchronized
> custom tag...

$MDNSent is used to mark messages for which a message disposition
notification message has been sent. I don't see how Exchange can be
repurposing that in any way that IMAP clients (which generate "message
read" MDNs) can work with, since messages themselves have headers that
indicate the sender's desire for a MDN and the IMAP spec says messages
(including headers) must be immutable.

Note that Exchange has its roots in X.400 mail, which has an Importance
attribute for messages and RFC2156 defines that as translating into an
Importance header in Internet email. There is also a common X-Priority
header that some versions of Exchange and Outlook use to replicate
Importance and some clients have even tried to use a Priority header, an
X.400 transplant that is such a bad idea (transport priority determined
by sender) that I don't think even Exchange has ever supported it for
Internet email. However, some clients have conflated all 3 into a single
Importance or Priority attribute that looks like an IMAP attribute
(sorta) but doesn't ACT like one because it can only be changed by
deleting, purging, and re-saving a message with the appropriate
header(s) changed or absent. Complicating the whole thing further, the
standard "\Flagged" IMAP keyword is arguably the same semantically as
having the Importance header being "high" so there may be some systems
which set that on delivery based on the header.