[MlMt] Bounties

Kee Hinckley kee at hinckley.com
Thu May 26 23:43:53 EDT 2016

First of all, I just want to say that Benny is amazing. I wrote [one of
the first multimedia email applications on
Unix](https://books.google.com/books?id=wBIEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA37&lpg=PA37&dq=alfalfa+poste&source=bl&ots=qTvRV7NFjj&sig=wjLRY1k1VdeBrumoNL-9tlsUuiA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjI0s--qvnMAhUU9GMKHcNRD5oQ6AEILjAD#v=onepage&q=alfalfa%20poste&f=false)
a long time ago, and for many years I've considered doing a more modern
one. MailMate makes that moot. It's an amazing application, and with the
new HTML features coming down the road, it's even more so.

Secondly, I want to say that I've put my money where my mouth is, and
I'd like to encourage everyone else to do the same. I **live** in email,
and I'm sure many of you do. Benny is making his living doing a really
hard thing; writing an application that competes with something that's
available for free. MailMate will always be a niche application targeted
at hardcore mail users, and we need to support that. When MailMate
started supporting the features I needed to use it at work I bought
several extra licenses I didn't need. Because I **need** this
application, and I need Benny to be able to make a good living
supporting it. It was wonderful that I was able to hack MailMate to work
with HTML mail before. It's even _more_ wonderful that I don't have to
anymore. If you find MailMate invaluable for your work—and I know many
of you do—please contribute more.

Thirdly, I want to put out a bounty for the one feature I'm missing.
I'll pitch in an additional $100 when MailMate supports sorting threaded
thing missing for me to use sorting by threads in my inbox. Right now I
use a very nice three pane solution someone provided (and it's _amazing_
that MailMate can be extended that way), that puts a separate "sort by
subject" pane to one side, and I leave my inbox simply sorted by date,
without grouping. That's almost what I want, but not quite. I'd like to
have my inbox display threads with the most recent messages first, so
that if someone replies to something three weeks ago (and they do a
lot), it doesn't get lost in my 4000 message Inbox. If you feel
similarly, please pledge your support. And I encourage Benny to set up a
way for people to vote for feature with their wallet. This is an amazing
product, and I can't work without it.

Thank you Benny.