[MlMt] Cannot delete 4000 messages. Instead, they get moved, and become un-deletable.

Gary Hull YH82d7dfU at yandex.com
Fri May 6 03:35:59 EDT 2016

On 6 May 2016, at 11:49, Roger Bohn wrote:

> 2. I selected 4000 of them, and hit the “delete” key on my Mac. In
> the past, this has purged messages from the Deleted Messages folder,
> and from the server.
>
> 3. The messages did not disappear from the DM folder. Instead, they
> changed color to red, *and were moved back to their original folder!*
> Call that folder STUFF. So now I have approx 4000 messages in the
> STUFF folder from which they had been deleted, days or weeks ago. I
> have about 200 messages in the DM folder.

The official canonical location of your mail is the IMAP server, not
your Macintosh. When you "delete" messages, you are simply instructing
MailMate to issue deletion requests to be sent to the IMAP server to
remove them from the Deleted Messages folder and get back to IMAP when
that is done. Depending on your internet connection, your IMAP providers
throttling, how many messages can fit in one instruction, and your
Macintosh, a huge batched request can literally take days to finish. I
moved all my mail from Gmail to another provider via MailMate, and it
took a very long time for that to finish.