[MlMt] Emailing documents from other apps fails

Thu Mar 3 04:49:14 EST 2016

On 3 Mar 2016, at 10:38, Jim Cook wrote:

> However when I try to send from Adobe Acrobat or any of the Microsoft
> Office applications I get errors:
>
> Acrobat: "The SendMail doesn't know how to talk to your default mail
> client.  Please select a different mail application to use."
>
> Word: "Word was unable to mail your document.  Please make sure your
> mail program is configured correctly and that you can send mail with
> it."
>
> This is mighty inconvenient, is there a way to fix this?

I don't have those applications installed, but I doubt they can be told
how to interact with MailMate. The problem is that the only way of
creating an email in the default email client is to use the `mailto:`
URL scheme and this does not support attachments. This means that the
application has to either explicitly support each email client or
support the Share menu (which is also independent of the default email
client setting).

A possible workaround is to create a script which saves the document and
uses the extended `mailto:` URL scheme supported by MailMate, but I'm
aware this is non-trivial.

If the applications support it then you can right-click the proxy icon
(the icon to the left of the title of the document in the window title
bar) and select the enclosing folder for the document. Then use the
“Share” menu item in the Finder.

Somewhat easier is to simply drag the proxy icon to the MailMate dock
icon.

I hope this helps.