[MlMt] feature request - nextUnreadMailbox: ?

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Mon Jun 27 22:20:35 EDT 2016

On 27 Jun 2016, at 9:38, Fabian Blechschmidt wrote:

> Ok, then I was right when I thought you have seen this.
>
> What is the difference? I mean, what do you expect? See the next
> unread message of another mailbox? :-)

Well, yes, of course!

Maybe some context would help...

For many years I used Usenet newsreaders (nn, trn, and various
NewsWatcher variants) and mail clients (mailx, elm, pine, Eudora) where
I could start with the first unread message in my first
newsgroup/mailbox with any unread messages and read entirely through to
the last unread message using nothing but <space>, provided I didn't
want to reply to anything or whack the whole emainder of a thread or
anything like that. Just launch the program, space space space ... done:
everything new got read. This model grew out of Unix paging programs
from pg to more to less, because the text-based programs just used the
stock text pager. The early GUI mail and news clients were written by
people who were in the habit of spacing though everything.

I could offer fancy arguments for why having a one-key method for the
default navigation through a session of using a program is efficient UI
and even why making the one key <space> is clearly the best choice
because it's the largest and most easily hit key, but ultimately the
real reason some of us want bindings like
"scrollPageDownOrNextUnreadMessage" and ideally
"scrollPageDownOrNextUnreadMessageOrFirstUnreadMessageInNextUnreadMailbox"
is because it is a habit we've acquired and reinforced over many years.
Like not top-posting replies and not using HTML in mail, it's a thing
some of us old guys call "better" because it's what we've always done
and have come to like. And because it really is better.