[MlMt] Heads up for insanely early adopters: macOS Sierra and MailMate

Scott A. McIntyre mailmate at howyagoin.net
Sat Jun 18 22:01:55 EDT 2016

Hi all,

After a glass of wine it seemed like a fantastic idea to update my iMac
to macOS Sierra Beta 1.  Like all great ideas which are fuelled by
fermented and/or distilled beverages, there have been moments of regret.

MailMate *mostly* works, but, in case any of you were thinking of going
this route, learn from my pain:

0)  macOS Sierra is towards the Alpha side of Beta, don't expect things
to work well, be happy anything works at all.  Don't harass developers
for support yet.

1)  The Keychain seems to have been seriously overhauled, or, broken,
depending upon how you look at it.  This impacted MailMate for all
stored credentials and having to re-enter them.  Not a big deal, but,
time consuming.

2)  I use a private TLS protected mail server for my outgoing mail, with
my own self-signed certificate protecting it.  This caused MailMate to
crash hard on Sierra.  The fix was to use openssl to grab the PEM and
import it into the Keychain with full Trust.  No more MailMate crashing
on sending SMTP.

3)  MailMate can not see your Contacts/Address Book.  This will be a
deal blocker for most people - and indeed, it's been the biggest
headache here.  It can see its own internal list of previous recipients,
which is good, but, that's it.  I tried resetting the Address Book with
tccutil, and whilst MailMate prompted for access, obviously something
has changed in the format and nothing is actually seen (including in the
Address panel in MailMate).

Other than that, MailMate seems to be working okay.

This is just a heads up for others, I don't expect Benny to make any
changes to support Sierra for many months to come.

Regards,

Scott