[MlMt] How to make a smart mailbox for a Mailing List?

Vlad Ghitulescu Vlad at Ghitulescu.de
Sat Jan 16 05:00:47 EST 2016

On 15 Jan 2016, at 23:19, Sherif Soliman wrote:

> On 15 Jan 2016, at 17:04, Vlad Ghitulescu wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>>

>> I would like to make a smart mailbox in MailMate that contains all of
>> the mails from the BBEdit-Talk Google Discussion-Group.
>>
>> All of the mails in this group have in the To-field this
>> email-address „bbedit at googlegroups.com“, so I have made a smart
>> mailbox with the condition showed in the attachment.
>>
>> However the mailbox doesn’t seem to work: I see only a single email
>> in this mailbox but I have a couple more in my Inbox.
>>

> Emails from a mailing list usually have a "List-id" header that works
> better for smart mailboxes or rules than the "To" header.
>
> Try changing the condition of the smart mailbox to "List-id" being
> equal to "bbedit.googlegroups.com" (which is the list id of the BBEdit
> mailing list).
>
> You can do this by clicking on the dropdown menu that currently says
> "Recipient (To, Cc, Bcc)", scrolling all the way down to "Other..."
> and filtering the list to find "List-id" and checking that to put it
> in the menu.
>
> Then you should be able to choose it as the condition and set its
> value to bbedit.googlegroups.com
>
> Hopefully that helps.
>
> Another thing is to make sure you are choosing the right Mailboxes in
> the Mailboxes tab.
>
> Finally, you can find the List-id of emails from other mailing lists
> by opening a message from that list, then clicking View > Show Raw
> Message, and looking for the "List-id' header, for example:

> Sherif

Hello, Sherif!

Thanks for the detailed reply!

I didn’t know about the List-id.
Following your advice I could easily change the condition.

How to see the raw message was also on my huge MailMate-question-list
:-).

Thanks again!

Regards,
Vlad