[MlMt] How to make a smart mailbox for a Mailing List?

Sherif Soliman sherif at ssoliman.com
Fri Jan 15 17:19:15 EST 2016

On 15 Jan 2016, at 17:04, Vlad Ghitulescu wrote:

> Hello!
>

> I would like to make a smart mailbox in MailMate that contains all of
> the mails from the BBEdit-Talk Google Discussion-Group.
>
> All of the mails in this group have in the To-field this email-address
>bbedit at googlegroups.com“, so I have made a smart mailbox with the
> condition showed in the attachment.
>
> However the mailbox doesn’t seem to work: I see only a single email
> in this mailbox but I have a couple more in my Inbox.

Emails from a mailing list usually have a "List-id" header that works
better for smart mailboxes or rules than the "To" header.

Try changing the condition of the smart mailbox to "List-id" being equal
to "bbedit.googlegroups.com" (which is the list id of the BBEdit mailing
list).

You can do this by clicking on the dropdown menu that currently says
"Recipient (To, Cc, Bcc)", scrolling all the way down to "Other..." and
filtering the list to find "List-id" and checking that to put it in the
menu.

Then you should be able to choose it as the condition and set its value
to bbedit.googlegroups.com

Hopefully that helps.

Another thing is to make sure you are choosing the right Mailboxes in
the Mailboxes tab.

Finally, you can find the List-id of emails from other mailing lists by
opening a message from that list, then clicking View > Show Raw Message,
and looking for the "List-id' header, for example:

Sherif