[MlMt] Any news?

Fri Feb 26 05:14:27 EST 2016

On 26 Feb 2016, at 10:25, Thomas Eckhold wrote:

> I wonder if you could and want to share some news about the project
> [„Graphics
> Designer“](http://sites.fastspring.com/freron/product/graphicsdesigner)?

Oh, how time flies. Good question. I've been thinking I should take that
down since it was probably not the best way to handle the issue of
graphics and visual design. I rarely get contributions now and I believe
it's at about 62%. Most of that money is already used on a new
application icon which I'm using on my own version of MailMate right
now.

Let me take this opportunity to do a small status update (just for this
list). Some might have noticed that I'm some times using a version of
MailMate with this `X-Mailer` header: `2.0BETAr6002`. This is almost
identical to the 1.9.x releases except for two things: A lot of changes
with regard to how HTML is handled when replying/forwarding (the
achilles heel of MailMate) and a new headers view.

I don't usually have two branches of MailMate. Most of my changes and
fixes are quickly released in 1.9.x test releases and this is how I
prefer to work, but this has led to some confusion. A lot of users (and
non-users) have the impression that I'm working on a huge new separate
2.0 release, but this has never been the case. MailMate has moved from
version 1.5.3 to 1.9.3 since the crowd funding more than 2 years ago and
as most of you know then the release notes are a mile long.

The reason I do have a separate 2.0 beta running myself now (again, only
with a few new features) is that I want to change how I work on new
features. The official 1.9.x releases are only going to be for fixes and
minor changes and the 2.0 beta gets all the new features. When I think
it's ready then I'll bump the beta to be the official MailMate 2.0
release and then go back to a single branch of development.

In other words, I hope to release the 2.0 beta as soon as possible to
stop any speculation that something completely different than 1.9.x is
in the works. The 2.0 beta is still too unstable to be released. To be
honest, I'm not making progress as quickly as I would like -- primarily
because of too much incoming email pointing out issues and bugs in the
1.9.x releases. I'm sure most of you know that feeling since you are
using MailMate to handle your emails :-)

Hmm, I'm afraid I just added to the confusion now :-)

Have a nice weekend.