[MlMt] SideBar organisational tabs/menus

John Cooper mailmate at coopercontent.com
Thu Feb 25 17:52:40 EST 2016

Bill Cole wrote (at 14:26 on 25 Feb 2016):

> It is possible to come close to this by deleting any smart mailboxes
> that you never want and moving all of the ones you rarely want into a
> subfolder (like the "Examples" folder in the  standard MM collection.)
> You can even move  all of the unified "special" mailboxes into one
> subfolder, but that only holds until MM is quit. At re-launch, they'll
> pop back out to the top level. However, you CAN (at  least in  the
> latest  betas)  re-order  them. So you can get something like this:
> http://www.scconsult.com/MMClean.png

Yes, that is a close analog to my current setup. To repeat, I'd like to
avoid having to see the non-smart mailboxes in the MAILBOXES section,
because I rarely use them, and because their presence only adds
duplicate unread counts.

>> I find it unfortunate that I can't keep Sources collapsed. Even if I
>> do, it opens up again when I select a message from the menu bar
>> counter.
>
> Why not just change what the menubar counters point to?...If it's a
> smart mailbox, selecting a message from the menubar icon opens that
> smart mailbox, NOT the source the message resides in.

Thanks! That's a good tip. I've reconfigured all the menu bar counters
to point to smart mailboxes, which should take care of that part of the
problem.

>> MailMate's excellent smart mailboxes system means that I should have
>> to see the source mailboxes (and their duplicate unread counts) only
>> very rarely.
>
> And you shall not, if you adjust the configuration to your
> preferences.

I've collapsed the SOURCES section and will live with that for a while.

>> The same goes for the standard mailboxes in the MAILBOXES section.
>
> I absolutely concur. If I could totally kill off "Archives" (which is
> useless as implemented, given how I actually archive email) I would.
> I'd also stash MOST of the unified special mailboxes in a subfolder,
> since even when I need to see one of them, there's rarely a reason for
> it to be unified across all source accounts.

Yes, I'd like to hide Sent, Drafts, Junk, and All Messages in
particular. I personally access Archives and Trash occasionally, almost
always when I've used one of my single-key shortcuts incorrectly and
archived or trashed a message I want back.

Thanks,
John