[MlMt] Rules and HTML parts

Fri Feb 19 10:12:30 EST 2016

On 18 Feb 2016, at 14:49, Eric A. Meyer wrote:

> Is there a good introductory tutorial to creating and using rules?

I'm afraid not.

> I have some idea of how they work, but it'd be nice to learn from
> someone with experience.
>
> That said, is there a way to have a rule set the display part that
> should be preferred for a given message?  I “Prefer plain text” in
> my preferences because it works better for me in 98% of cases, but
> there are a few addresses that always send mangled (or utterly
> useless) plain-text parts, so I always have to flip to the HTML part
> to make any sense of what they're sending.  I'd love to have a rule
> Just Do That™ for me before I even open the messages.

Hmm, this is not currently possible. The preference (when switching
manually) is actually saved in a virtual header which means that **if**
there was a rule action to set virtual headers (or just this one header)
then it would be possible to do something like the above. Combined with
a smart mailbox matching such messages and the use of the “is in”
comparison method then you might not even need to create more than 1
rule.

So, all I can offer you is to keep in mind that it would be useful to be
able to set this virtual header using a rule action.