[MlMt] What takes time at startup?

Philip Paeps philip at trouble.is
Mon Feb 8 04:49:38 EST 2016

On 2016-02-08 05:50:12 (+0100), Vlad Ghitulescu <Vlad at Ghitulescu.de>
wrote:
> On 6 Feb 2016, at 21:49, Patrik Fältström wrote:
>> 350k email messages is nothing.
>>
>> I have just below 2 million. 12k added each month, approximately.
>
> I am new to MailMate, so please bare with me and my slightly OT
> question: why keeping so many email messages in MailMate (or any other
> email app at all)?

I can't speak for anyone else, only for myself.

> I still have all my email messages since 2002 but keep only a relevant
> (and therefore *very small* and *constantly fresh*) subset in my email
> app of choice (currently MailMate) and all the rest in archives
> (external to the email app and servers and searchable via Finder
> and/or an email archive app).

My archives go back to the mid-nineties.  Since mail (generally)
compresses well and (server) disk space kept getting cheaper, I decided
a very long time ago that it's cheaper to keep everything than to
regularly evaluate what's relevant.  When laptop disks were still
expensive and connectivity less ubiquitous, I used a selective imapsync
to only download my most active mailboxes.  It was error-prone and
painful to maintain.

> Not using my email app as a task manager (and delegating this to a
> dedicated task manager app) makes this easy too.

I also use a dedicated task manager now (OmniFocus).

> I'm not pretending that my method is better and I also understand that
> MailMate can graciously manage a huge amount of email - but why
> keeping all this information there and not somewhere else, once it not
> implying constantly replying / forwarding / etc.?

The problem with "somewhere else" is getting to it.  Simple connectivity
is one thing, but also finding what I need.  These days, it's usually
pretty easy to find an internet connection but MailMate's search
features are a lot better than `find Maildir -type f -mtime foo -exec
grep -i mumble {} +`.

Philip

--
Philip Paeps