[MlMt] What takes time at startup?

Sun Feb 7 03:41:51 EST 2016

On 7 Feb 2016, at 0:09, Helen Holzgrafe wrote:

> Just for your information, with my set up of about 350000 messages
> (far less than a third of what Patrick and Steven have). My startup
> was around 10 minutes, too, like theirs. So, I think it's more about
> the chunks of data MailMate needs to keep in memory at a time rather
> than how much data in total.

You could also try the debug variable I told Patrik about if you want to
get a better idea of what is taking the most time (I'm not saying the
output is very readable though -- it's mainly intended for my own use
when debugging performance issues).

> I don't know what database you are using, but many of the better ones
> have a whole set of "queries" that you use instead of the basic one
> that are designed to bring in a part of the data at a time and as you
> use the data releases the memory and rolls in more automatically, thus
> reducing memory thrash.  I cannot recall the name for those kinds of
> queries and they are not that easy to use, but may be necessary to
> resolve these issues. I believe the Apple Developer standard database
> does have those, but I am not totally certain.

MailMate has its own “database” system. I don't really think it
could do what it does now with any off-the-shelf solution (while being
able to handle the same types of queries). If that sounds a bit arrogant
then I can live with that :-) (I'm not saying it couldn't be better
though.)