[MlMt] What takes time at startup?

Patrik Fältström paf at frobbit.se
Sun Feb 7 03:18:35 EST 2016

On 6 Feb 2016, at 23:40, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> Patrick: Now, 8 minutes is a lot

Note, 8 min of CPU time. Not wall clock time ;-)

Btw, not the first time I have heard from author of a software that "oh, did not know it could work for that size of data structure". First time was MSQL (not MySQL) in 1995 :-)

Like Mike O'Dell said about the future of the Internet: "The only thing you have to be afraid of is scale".

> and it could be interesting for me to see where the bottlenecks are for this kind of problem size. You can generate a log for me by pasting these lines in a Terminal window:
>
>  defaults write com.freron.MailMate TimersEnabled -bool YES
>  /Applications/MailMate.app/Contents/MacOS/MailMate

Ok, doing this now.

> When the launch has finished then quit MailMate (to make MailMate summarize the results) and then send me the Terminal output. Send it off list.

Will do.

> (I cannot really promise to make more improvements soon, but there might be some simple things you can change to speed up the launch.)

Of course!

I was more curious of what MailMate is doing than requesting it to be shorter. Specifically as it seems to be in busy wait with about 800MByte allocated of RAM. Only the last few seconds it blows memory allocation to the 3-4GByte RAM it then uses for the actual normal operation (which btw is quite ok).

   Patrik