[MlMt] How to put the cursor at the bottom of the original email when replying / forwarding?

Vlad Ghitulescu Vlad at Ghitulescu.de
Tue Feb 2 07:46:16 EST 2016

On 1 Feb 2016, at 19:17, Muster Hans wrote:

> On 1 Feb 2016, at 19:05, Vlad Ghitulescu wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>

>> On 1 Feb 2016, at 17:53, Muster Hans wrote:
>>
>>> New with BBEdit 11.5, which has just arrived today:
>>>
>>> http://www.barebones.com/support/bbedit/current_notes.html
>>>
>>> ----
>>> When piping data into the bbedit tool, you can now add a line number
>>> specifier, and the and the insertion point will be placed at the
>>> start of the indicated line in the resulting document. For example:
>>>
>>> ls -la | bbedit +5
>>> ----
>>>
>>> I've just tested this and it puts the cursor at the beginning of
>>> line 5, without selecting it.
>>
>> Yep, I saw this too, **BUT** I cannot find an alternative to put the
>> cursor at the bottom of the file.
>>

> Hmm.
>
> ls -la | wc -l
>  404
> ls -la | bbedit +9999
>
> puts the cursor on the last line of the file, a blank line in this
> example.
>
> Let's try a file which ends in a full line, but without <LF> at the
> end:
>
> bbedit +9999999 x.py # puts the cursor at the end of the last line.
>
> FWIW, I've been using TextWrangler in a similar way for newsgroup
> posts,
> called by slrn.  What I find there is that I want the cursor
> positioned
> at the beginning of the post body, so that I can start at the
> beginning
> and strip out unwanted quoted text, just leaving the relevant quoted
> text
> plus my reply (possibly interleaved where answering more than one
> point).
>
> Yes TW does select the entire line, but that's not a problem when I'm
> using the cursor keys to move down through the text before typing any
> text.

There's even a simpler solution!
Here directly from Bare Bones' technical support:

*(…)
When you pipe data via the 'bbedit' tool, BBEdit will by default place
the insertion point at the end of the piped data.
Alternatively, you can make BBEdit place the insertion point at the top
of file by including the '--view-top' parameter, or on any specific line
by using the +<line_number> convention I mentioned before.
(…)*