[MlMt] How to *move* messages out of Inbox (or emulate such a behavior)?

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Wed Dec 28 13:00:57 EST 2016

On 28 Dec 2016, at 3:43, Dave C wrote:

> New user here…
>
> I’ve got the hang of smart folders and the ones I’ve created now
> contain messages from mail lists (I’m subscribed to several).
>
> My goal is to have an Inbox that has none of these mail list messages
> and only contains the remainder of the day’s mail, mostly personal
> mail and junk.
>
> I understand that the purpose of smart folders is to mirror messages
> to those folders without actually moving them. How can I achieve my
> goal of having the Inbox (or maybe another smart folder named
> “MyInbox”?) not contain the messages that are visible in the smart
> folders?
>
> Any suggestions?

Create actual distinct IMAP folders for each mailing list and add rules
to the INBOX to move list messages to the right folders.

Alternatively, just create one IMAP folder for all the list mail, a rule
to move all list mail there, and have MM split the display of that IMAP
folder into subfolders by mailing list.

OR, use your existing list-wise smart folders: add rules to them that
move all new messages to other IMAP folders, either one per list or one
for all lists.

OR, create a new smart mailbox whose Mailboxes selection is "All of (
INBOX, None of ( all of your mailing lists smart mailboxes ))"