[MlMt] How to *move* messages out of Inbox (or emulate such a behavior)?

David Ledger mailmate at ivdcs.co.uk
Thu Dec 29 08:29:26 EST 2016

On 28 Dec 2016, at 18:00, Bill Cole wrote:

> On 28 Dec 2016, at 3:43, Dave C wrote:
>
>> New user here…
>>
>> I’ve got the hang of smart folders and the ones I’ve created now
>> contain messages from mail lists (I’m subscribed to several).
>>
>> My goal is to have an Inbox that has none of these mail list messages
>> and only contains the remainder of the day’s mail, mostly personal
>> mail and junk.
>>
>> I understand that the purpose of smart folders is to mirror messages
>> to those folders without actually moving them. How can I achieve my
>> goal of having the Inbox (or maybe another smart folder named
>> “MyInbox”?) not contain the messages that are visible in the
>> smart folders?
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> Create actual distinct IMAP folders for each mailing list and add
> rules to the INBOX to move list messages to the right folders.
>
> Alternatively, just create one IMAP folder for all the list mail, a
> rule to move all list mail there, and have MM split the display of
> that IMAP folder into subfolders by mailing list.
>
> OR, use your existing list-wise smart folders: add rules to them that
> move all new messages to other IMAP folders, either one per list or
> one for all lists.
>
> OR, create a new smart mailbox whose Mailboxes selection is "All of (
> INBOX, None of ( all of your mailing lists smart mailboxes ))"

My personal preference is to read most of my messages from the Inbox,
then move them to where I want to save them. I did this with Eudora by
having manual-only filters to my regular destination mailboxes. Once
read (in the Inbox) I would delete if not wanted, trigger a manual
filter, or drag to where I wanted it. On moving to Mail.app that reduced
to delete or drag. It looks like I should do better with MailMate, but
I’m still working on it.

I’m trying a set of Inbox filters that match on the list ID in
Subject, then on being read, then on being older than one day (to avoid
messages disappearing before i’m finished). It’s not immediate of
course, but it may be a step nearer. Sometimes it works but it doesn’t
always.

David