[MlMt] read msg marking

Sherif Soliman sherif at ssoliman.com
Fri Aug 5 10:57:11 EDT 2016

On 4 Aug 2016, at 19:23, Robert Brenstein wrote:

> The column "unread" in the list view shows a circle if the message is
> unread or is empty. I see those circles in at least 3 colors: blue,
> red, gray. However, I can't seem to find their explanation in the
> manual.

Hi Robert,

The blue and grey are simple to explain:

- Blue: indicates a single unread message.
- Grey: You should only see grey next to a thread, not a single message.
Grey means that the thread has a mix of unread and read messages. A
thread that contains messages that are all unread should have blue next
to it, and a thread of all read messages should have neither blue nor
grey next to it.

The red one requires a more detailed explanation, and I will quote Bill
Cole from this previous message on the list:

http://www.mail-archive.com/mailmate%40lists.freron.com/msg05861.html

On 18 Mar 2016, at 10:44, Bill Cole wrote:

> It means that you use another client in addition to MailMate with that
> source account and that the other client handles message deletion in a
> classical IMAP mode. This means that messages get marked with the
> "\Deleted" flag when the user deletes them, but do not REALLY get
> deleted until the mailbox or (if the server & client support the
> UIDPLUS extension) the individual message is purged. Some servers
> auto-purge mailboxes or individual \Deleted messages based on various
> criteria and some clients do as well, although some client+server
> combinations will never purge anything unless the user explicitly
> commands it.
>
> So: a red dot in the "Read" column means that something other than
> MailMate marked the message for deletion but has not yet told the
> server to purge it.
>
> The mechanics of handling message deletion and presentation of
> recoverable "deleted" messages vary broadly between IMAP clients.
> MailMate uses a very conservative approach of not purging messages it
> did not flag \Deleted, although I don't know how it manages that on
> servers without UIDPLUS support (which was a requirement for early
> versions of MailMate.)

Sherif