[MlMt] composer window placement

John D. Muccigrosso muccigrosso at icloud.com
Wed Aug 3 11:43:10 EDT 2016

On 3 Aug 2016, at 9:43, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 2 Aug 2016, at 1:23, John D. Muccigrosso wrote:
>
>> New-message windows in MM2 seem to get placed a little right and
>> lower than the previous one, until one gets as far right and down as
>> possible and then they stay there. Makes me think they’re going
>> off-screen.
>
> But they're not, right?

No, they’re not, but without the space between the window and the edge
of the screen, at first glance they look like they are. For comparison,
Mail.app restarts the positioning when there’s still some space left
between the window and the edge of the screen.

>> I’d prefer MM2 to remember where I placed one the last time and
>> always use that. Or at least restart the placement (as I think
>> Mail.app does).
>
> The “cascading” should only happen if you already have a window
> open of the same type, but for you it always happens? (That's a bug
> and it does not appear to be reproducible for me.)

No, it happens with more than one window, but stops happening when the
window reaches the edge of the screen. For example, Cmd-N opens a new
window. Repeat for another new one and it’s down and to the right a
bit. Keep doing that until the window hits the bottom of the screen. Now
new windows will start moving right, but still all the way at the
bottom. Finally a window hits the right of the screen and new windows
just stay there. Same thing with messages I’m reading.

The desired behavior is what Mail.app does: when opening multiple
windows, move over and right until _close_ to the edge and then the
corner, and then restart positioning from upper-left somewhere.

Another option would be to open a new message window in the same place
every time, if there are no other message windows open. Again, this is
what Mail.app seems to do.

I have also found myself with windows opening in the far bottom-right.
I’m not sure how to reproduce that right now, but will re-post when I
get it.

John