[MlMt] Updating account information made MailMate (re)download *all* email

Mon Aug 1 06:01:08 EDT 2016

On 28 Jul 2016, at 2:37, Sherif Soliman wrote:

[FastMail issues]

> What I chose to do is to start with a fresh install of MailMate. I
> kept a copy of my keybindings file and `Tags.plist`, removed
> everything else, and set everything up from scratch. I haven't had any
> issues since.

I'm glad it works given that I didn't provide much help. Thanks for the
updates (and warning for other users).

Now, I'll try to analyze what happened.

You wrote:

> I put in the new password and changed the server names from the old
> `mail.messagingengine.com` to `<protocol>.fastmail.com`.

I'm pretty sure MailMate displays a warning at this point. This is
because you have to be absolutely sure that MailMate is still looking at
the exact same account. Otherwise, the mapping between local emails and
server emails might be incorrect which could, e.g., lead to deleting a
message locally which maps to a different message on the server. (This
is not very likely to happen due to what follows below, but some servers
have a somewhat primitive use of `UIDVALIDITY` often reusing values
between user accounts.)

Now, it looks like this should be ok with FastMail, but then it seems
something else happened. The redownloading of emails indicate that the
`UIDVALIDITY` value changed of each mailbox. Each email is uniquely
identified using the `UIDVALIDITY` of the mailbox and the `UID` of the
message. If the `UIDVALIDITY` value of a mailbox changes then MailMate
MUST delete its local cache of emails and then fetch the “new”
messages of the mailbox. There is no way to tell MailMate to ignore
`UIDVALIDITY` changes.

Hmm, MailMate should also warn you when the latter happens which makes
me think that this might be a MailMate bug after all. I have a FastMail
test account and I'll note to test what happens when I do as you
describe. Sorry about the inconvenience if this turns out to be a bug.