[MlMt] Unquoted Body Text not found by search

Shoshanna Green shoshannag at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 17:34:48 EDT 2015

On 21 Sep 2015, at 17:15, Bill Cole wrote:

> On 21 Sep 2015, at 12:13, Shoshanna Green wrote:
>
>> I just received an email that mentioned a person's name; call her
>> Jane Smith. I answered the sender, quoting the original email,
>> including the bit with "Jane Smith". Then I thought I'd like to have
>> the email and my reply included in one of my existing smart
>> mailboxes.
>>
>> When I add the condition "Unquoted Body Text contains Smith," the
>> original email is not included in the smart mailbox. But when I add
>> the condition "Quoted Body Text contains Smith," my reply is
>> included.
>>
>> Wha?
>
> Possibilities:
>
> 1. The smart mailbox's source Mailboxes (first tab in the "Edit
> Mailbox..." dialog) don't include any of the IMAP or smart mailboxes
> where the original message exists.

Nope; the original and reply are in the same IMAP mailbox, which is
listed on the smart mailbox's "Mailboxes" tab. I confirmed I haven't
accidentally misfiled one by displaying the smart mailbox's "source
mailbox" column.

> 2. Some other Condition (second tab in the "Edit Mailbox..." dialog)
> is blocking the inclusion of the original message.

There are six active conditions, all under an "Any of the following are
true" heading. I don't see any way that one of those could interfere
with another.

> 3. You misspelled "Smith" (or whatever it actually is) in the first
> search. Seems unlikely, but stuff happens...

Heh, stuff does happen, but I actually tried copying the name both from
the original message itself and from the "contains" box of the Quoted
Body Text condition and pasting it into the Unquoted Body Text
condition, just to be sure that I hadn't somehow mistyped. Nope.

> 4. There's something wrong with your message index.
>
> 5. There's something wrong with how MailMate is doing indexing.

I'll hold off on the Reset command and on rebuilding the database in
case Benny wants to weigh in. But thanks for pointing me toward them!

Shoshanna Green
shoshannag at gmail.com