[MlMt] Unquoted Body Text not found by search

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Mon Sep 21 17:15:34 EDT 2015

On 21 Sep 2015, at 12:13, Shoshanna Green wrote:

> I just received an email that mentioned a person's name; call her Jane
> Smith. I answered the sender, quoting the original email, including
> the bit with "Jane Smith". Then I thought I'd like to have the email
> and my reply included in one of my existing smart mailboxes.
>
> When I add the condition "Unquoted Body Text contains Smith," the
> original email is not included in the smart mailbox. But when I add
> the condition "Quoted Body Text contains Smith," my reply is included.
>
> Wha?

Possibilities:

1. The smart mailbox's source Mailboxes (first tab in the "Edit
Mailbox..." dialog) don't include any of the IMAP or smart mailboxes
where the original message exists.

2. Some other Condition (second tab in the "Edit Mailbox..." dialog) is
blocking the inclusion of the original message.

3. You misspelled "Smith" (or whatever it actually is) in the first
search. Seems unlikely, but stuff happens...

4. There's something wrong with your message index.

5. There's something wrong with how MailMate is doing indexing.

If you can diagnose 1, 2, or 3: the fix will be obvious.

If 4 is the problem, it MIGHT be resolvable by using the "Reset" command
on the unsearchable message (and re-synching the source if MM doesn't
immediately do so automatically.) However, there might be some grander
brokenness in the index that can only be fixed by following the "Rebuild
Database" procedure described in the MM Help to redo the whole index
from the messages. MM often catches such problems itself, but nothing is
perfect. A full re-index can be a long slow process.

If 5 is it (i.e. if you eliminate the others) then I would think Benny
would want to get the actual message that's not being found to figure
out why it isn't being indexed correctly.