[MlMt] Using MailMate for 'handoff' from iDevices

Philip Paeps philip at trouble.is
Wed Oct 28 04:17:03 EDT 2015

On 2015-10-28 13:16:03 (+0530), Benny Kjær Nielsen
<mailinglist at freron.com> wrote:
> On 28 Oct 2015, at 8:21, Philip Paeps wrote:
>> It could be that "webpages" are special though and Mail is
>> insufficiently special.  Or the other way around.
>
> Email clients do not even agree on the format of a draft email. If I
> remember correctly then an Apple Mail draft is something completely
> different from what Apple Mail sends. In other words, the draft is
> some kind of private format.

That's one of the features of Mail.app that annoyed me the most.  It
turns a plaintext email into a weird marked up format that's smells a
little like HTML but not quite enough to easily filter for subsequent
editing in another editor.

I hadn't considered the 'format' issue.  I was only thinking about
displaying received email.  Continuing to edit an email didn't even
occur to me (the notion of typing an email on a phone is very alien to
me).  I was naively thinking that they'd pass an imap://[path][uuid] or
similar URI around for the client to find and display the relevant email
but ... that would probably be too easy.

> In MailMate, a draft and a sent email is (currently) the same thing.

Please please please don't change the draft format in a way that makes
it painful to continue editing in vi. :)

Thanks.

Philip

--
Philip Paeps