[MlMt] duplicate messages on move to other mailbox

Fri Oct 23 09:14:34 EDT 2015

On 23 Oct 2015, at 15:05, Jason Davies wrote:

> Two Macs (laptop, Mac Pro) using Mailmate at different times of teh
> day. I sat down and created some rules to help filter messages on both
> machines. Sometime just after that I started noticing duplicates
> appearing after I move messages to different folders.

If two installs of MailMate have the same rules to move messages then
there is a race condition. Moving a message is not quite an atomic
action. If the two installs see the same message at the same time then
they are both going to try to move it (if a rule matches). One of them
is probably going to fail with most IMAP servers, but MailMate detects
this error and instead the message is explicitly uploaded to the
destination mailbox (generating the duplicate).

A workaround could be to introduce a delay in one of the email clients
by creating an alternative Inbox (smart mailbox) with messages more than
x seconds old. Then add the rules to this mailbox on one of the
machines.

(MailMate could cancel a move if it finds an identical email in the
destination mailbox, but this would also be a hack -- also MailMate is
currently not very good at locating identical emails.)