[MlMt] Which folders should be excluded from client backup?

Sat Oct 17 06:14:35 EDT 2015

On 17 Oct 2015, at 11:39, Lars Ippich wrote:

> Which MailMate files/folders that are prone to regular updating /
> change would be safe to exclude from backup? For instance, within
> "Application Support", would it be safe to omit "Database.noindex" and
> still make sense to keep the "Messages" folder?

Yes, in general it's probably a good idea to leave `Database.noindex`
out of backups. You also don't need `Attachments` which is essentially
just a cache. Since MailMate only supports IMAP then one could also
argue that you don't need `Messages` (if everything is synchronized).

The most important parts are the main `.plist` files and the `Resources`
folder if you have made any customizations. Note that restoring from a
backup can easily result in a corrupted database. If you only use these
files (plist and Resources) then corruption is unlikely and MailMate
just refetches from the IMAP servers.

Hmm, I think there might be a problem with backing up `Messages` without
backing up `Database.noindex` since I don't think MailMate is going to
detect it as being a corrupted database (it's just missing). The problem
is that MailMate then won't use the existing content of the `Messages`
folder when synchronizing accounts...