[MlMt] Evaluation results

Ben Klebe benklebe at icloud.com
Tue May 19 11:27:52 EDT 2015

> I don't care about a discount and I don't care about 50 EUR. I care about a working work environment and
> I take the freedom to complain about software that has obvious bugs. I am software developer myself and I am annoyed to see so many little obvious and open issues in your software in a 1.9 release. I have not seen this in any other Mac software so far. Either some features are not very well thought or just badly implement
> or just to generic in order to make it right (the rules engine gives me exactly this feeling).
>
> -aj

I think you need to consider several factors in your evaluation of MailMate. I'm not saying it's for you, because it's certainly not for everyone.

MailMate is a truly unique application. It is developed singlehandedly. The developer allows you to submit bug reports, converse with them frankly and directly about your issues, and even request features. Before continuing, you must at least acknowledge that an ungodly amount of effort has gone into making you and all of us happy with MailMate. If it's not clear to you already that being able to converse publicly and directly with a developer is unique in proprietary software, it should be now.

Furthermore, MailMate offers classes of features that are unavailable in other mail clients, and even the ability to request more of these features and amendments to these features directly with a prompt and polite response. The bugs you have pointed out are non-obvious at best and edge cases at worst. For a single developer the fact that it works at all is quite impressive, especially in such an archaic language as Objective-C. I'm sure you realize that. You don't have the right to complain about bugs in software you do not own. If it really peeved you that your trial had so many bugs, you could have simply said "here's why I'm not buying" and moved on.

Instead, you chose to write a screed decrying all Mac email clients, saying that they were all bad and the only difference between them was the price. Why you sent this to the MailMate public list, I'll never know. If you're sick of native mail clients, go use Gmail. It's a nice, sterile web service where I can assure you there will be no noticeable bugs and also nobody to talk to should you need help. Don't come whining to a single indie developer's mailing list about how much their and everyone else's product sucks. It adds literally nothing to the conversation and makes you look bad.

Sincerely,

Ben Klebe