[MlMt] Using Rules to trim a Smart mailbox

David O'Donnell david at davidbodonnell.com
Thu Feb 26 11:01:44 EST 2015

On 26 Feb 2015, at 10:21, Allie Martin wrote:

> I would do it the following way:
>
> - create a smart folder that scans your inbox.
> - under 'Conditions' tab, create rules that will further define the
> messages to include in the Smart Folder.  You would need to include
> one that matches messages to the list, as well as one that restricts
> the dates.  I find the date restrictions are more flexible under the
> 'Conditions' filtering as opposed to the 'Rules' filtering. What you
> effectively do is create conditions that will make the Smart Mailbox
> display only those old messages you wish to move.
> - under 'Rules', create a rule that moves all messages to where you
> wish to store the old list messages.

I actually already have a condition set up for each Smart Mailbox that
correctly moves the desired messages out of INBOX and into a static
folder (hidden away under the normally collapsed SOURCES group for that
account). Benny’s clarification to use Date, not Date > Relative, was
the magic bullet to make things work exactly as desired.

--
![](http://fates.org/2014-09-dbo-sig.png)