[MlMt] Using Rules to trim a Smart mailbox

Thu Feb 26 10:55:36 EST 2015

On 26 Feb 2015, at 15:48, David O'Donnell wrote:

> I had set up a Smart Mailbox to filter the messages from my INBOX into
> a separate folder and created a rule to move messages that were over
> 14 days old… but at some point in the past couple of months, the
> rule stopped working. When I tried to edit the rule today, I noticed
> that there is no comparison operator. So, e.g., the rule now reads
> “Date > Relative” “is” “14 days ago,” when I really want
> “if relative date is >= 14 days ago” since the rule clearly
> isn’t always getting triggered when a message is moved into the
> destination mailbox (by another rule attached to the Smart Mailbox).
>
> Am I missing something obvious, or is it just not possible to achieve
> what I want?

Just select “Date” and you'll have usable comparison options. (I
should hide the “relative” variant since it neither works for this
purpose and is very slow to use.)

Also note the other replies you got. Currently, rules with date
conditions do not work as expected since they are never triggered. You
have to create a separate smart mailbox with the date condition and then
add an actions-only rule to that. (I do plan to improve this.)