[MlMt] Muting - not working as documented

Mon Sep 29 09:16:06 EDT 2014

On 29 Sep 2014, at 15:04, John Cooper wrote:

> I'm confused, but maybe it's because I've never used mute
> functionality before using MailMate. What is the implication of the
> last
> statement--that emails addressed directly to you will no longer be
> exempted from the mute, or that they no longer will be muted?

Muting was implemented to be used on mailing lists where you would not
normally be the direct recipient. For example, the message you just sent
was from you to `mailmate at lists.freron.com`. If I had muted the thread
then I would not have seen it. But if you had replied to my email
address directly then I would still have seen the message due to the
exception described.

> My understanding of "mute" is that it automatically marks further
> messages in the same thread as read. I would expect it to do this
> regardless of whether my address is in the To: field. However, the
> Mute command has never had any effect on further messages when I use
> it in MailMate, so I'm trying to determine how my understanding is
> incomplete.

I assume that in this case the thread is a thread of personal
correspondence in which you are an explicit recipient (although maybe
one of many explicit recipients). This is more like what I would name
“blocking” since someone is writing to you, but you don't want to
see what this someone is writing to you.

> And this is the first I've heard of "strong muting" as opposed to
> normal muting.

Well, strong muting is perhaps what you would expect from muting, but
you run the risk of muting too much.

I hope that makes it a bit more clear.