[MlMt] Muting - not working as documented

John Cooper mailmate at coopercontent.com
Mon Sep 29 09:41:45 EDT 2014

On 2014-09-29 08:16, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> Muting was implemented to be used on mailing lists where you would not normally be the direct recipient. For example, the message you just sent was from you to mailmate at lists.freron.com. If I had muted the thread then I would not have seen it. But if you had replied to my email address directly then I would still have seen the message due to the exception described.

That make sense. Thank you for the explanation.

> My understanding of "mute" is that it automatically marks further messages in the same thread as read. I would expect it to do this regardless of whether my address is in the To: field. However, the Mute command has never had any effect on further messages when I use it in MailMate, so I'm trying to determine how my understanding is incomplete.
>
> I assume that in this case the thread is a thread of personal correspondence in which you are an explicit recipient (although maybe one of many explicit recipients).

Unfortunately, no, I've never tried to use muting on a thread in which I
am an explicit recipient. I've only tried to use it on the MailMate
mailing list, which is the only high-volume mailing list to which I'm
subscribed. It seems to have no effect.

> Well, strong muting is perhaps what you would expect from muting, but you run the risk of muting too much.

I will try setting that preference and see if it helps.