[MlMt] Cannot connect to iCloud mailbox

Kip DeGraaf kip at aadl.org
Fri Oct 10 07:10:57 EDT 2014

On 9 Oct 2014, at 3:36, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> We can try taking MailMate out of the equation. Use Terminal to
> connect to the server like this:
>
> 	openssl s_client -connect imap.mail.me.com:993
>
> When it has connected then write the following with your login
> details:
>
> 	0 LOGIN username password
>
> I have no problems with my own account, but I do not have two-step
> verification enabled.

Well it looks like Apple is the problem, I've filed a support ticket
with them.

Whether I use my iCloud regular password or a brand new App-Specific
password I get

     0 NO [AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Authentication failed

after the '0 LOGIN myusername password' entry.

I've so stumped the Apple support team that I've been passed to an
escalation team, spent 45 minutes on the phone with them and now I'm due
for a callback the next day.

Thank you for the suggestion about using the openssl connect, it cut
through a lot of potential finger pointing by Apple Support and squarely
demonstrated the issue was theirs.