[MlMt] applying Rules to inbox

Fri Oct 10 05:12:08 EDT 2014

On 9 Oct 2014, at 21:26, Luca Allodi wrote:

> On 9 Oct 2014, at 21:09, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:
>
>> Some kind of “dynamic” event type is needed, [..]
>
> Wouldn't an "Apply rules for this Mailbox upon restart" checkbox do
> the trick?

Yes, it could, but still not very intuitive (although certainly better
than the current behavior).

> To my understanding, all the checkbox would have to do is to trigger
> ApplyRules().

Correct.

> If the only problem it would solve is mine, though, as a workaround it
> would probably mainly add complexity to the interface and solve too
> little a problem.
>
> On the other hand, if "time-based rules" are the only ones suffering
> from this, then maybe this workaround can simply be "hard-coded" for
> any "Date" rule.

I would prefer an explicit option. Maybe a checkmark in the rule editor
named “Automatically apply rule to existing messages” which would
also apply the rule as soon as one hits “Ok”. Whether or not one
wants to enable that strongly depends on what kind of action is taken.
For example, it would not make much sense to use it if a sound is
played.