[MlMt] Reply to selected message with AppleScript

Sun Nov 9 08:12:04 EST 2014

On 7 Nov 2014, at 13:20, Nick Renders wrote:

> I have a question about MailMate and AppleScript.
>
> I would like AppleScript to create a Reply email to the selected
> message
> and automatically add some text to it. I understand you can do this
> with
> the "open location" command and setting all the necessary parameters
> like
> "subject", "body" and "in-reply-to".

Well, that's primarily for new messages and not replies. The
[`emate`](http://manual.mailmate-app.com/emate) command can also be used
for this when it's more convenient.

> My question is: can I get the value for those parameters for the
> selected
> message with AppleScript? Or is there perhaps a better/easier way to
> create a Reply email with AppleScript? I have been thinking about
> using the
> COM+R shortcut through System Events, but that seems like bit of a
> hassle.

The best way to do this is to use a bundle command. This is still badly
documented (and incomplete), but it might work well enough for you. To
help you out I've created a bundle which you should place in this folder
(create it):

	~/Library/Application Support/MailMate/Bundles/

I've added a single command named “Generate Reply”. It calls a bash
script, but it could be any kind of script (Ruby, Python, AppleScript,
…). It just has to return a property list specifying a `replyMessage`
action (as also shown by my example). You can find the command in the
“Command ▸ Arcict” menu after saving the bundle. The only
documentation is [this mailing list
message](http://www.mail-archive.com/mailmate%40lists.freron.com/msg02477.html).

Depending on what exactly you are trying to do, you might need more
help, but this is a starting point.