[MlMt] Using Gmail

Sat May 17 15:47:30 EDT 2014

On 16 May 2014, at 10:13, Gary Hull wrote:

> My impression is that MailMate doesn't deal well with Gmail by design,
> and there's no plan to natively support Gmail.

Well, even though I dislike the design choices for Gimap (and calling it
IMAP) I've done a lot to make it work in MailMate. A rough estimate is
that half of the MailMate users have a Gmail account which means I don't
really have a choice.

But I try to do it in a way such that most parts of MailMate are unaware
of the account type (IMAP or Gmail).

> However, in the MailMate documentation there are hacks given for those
> who must use Gmail, the first of which is "Don't use labels," the
> second of which is "If you do you use labels use one and only one
> label for every each and every e-mail," and the third of which is "If
> you must use labels as tags and put more than one on each e-mail, get
> used to a lot of duplicated e-mails, because GIMAP presents labels as
> separate folders to connecting IMAP clients."

As stated in my previous reply I have softened this a bit. Multiple
labels are okay if using the tags-to-labels mapping.