[MlMt] Using Gmail

Sat May 17 15:42:47 EDT 2014

On 16 May 2014, at 9:28, Alasdair Muckart wrote:

I'll answer questions in this thread here and there and hopefully I'll
cover everything. Otherwise, ask again :-)

> The current documentation seems to indicate that MM still doesn't deal
> too well with Gmail and labels, and with my current setup I really
> need the labels in Gmail.

Well, I kind of think MailMate deals quite well with Gmail while still
being an IMAP email client. In a sense, I would claim that MailMate
(theoretically) has better integration than most email clients, but I'll
get back to that.

> For the moment I'm using Airmail which is nice and fast and seems to
> handle gmails quirks Ok, but doesn't locally cache mail and is having
> some issues actually finding all 270-odd thousand messages I have.

This is actually the main problem. MailMate might not work very well
with 270K emails. In particular with Gmail which not only throttles
bandwidth during the initial synchronization, but also seems to have
some delays for large mailboxes (I **still** haven't analyzed this, but
my suspicion is that it is related to so-called IMAP CONDSTORE).

> I'd very much like to keep using MailMate, so I'm interested in what
> the options are for setting it up with Gmail in a way that'll allow me
> to keep my label setup.

You should read [this blog
post](http://blog.freron.com/2013/mavericks-gmail-apple-mail-and-mailmate/)
which describes how MailMate can now map tags (IMAP keywords) to labels.
It requires that you tell MailMate which tags should be mapped to which
Gmail labels (in the Tags preferences pane), but after that you should
be able to simply use the tags interface to handle Gmail labels. This
also means that moving messages between Gmail servers and IMAP servers
works as you would expect/hope.

The main problem is actually that MailMate won't show the Gmail label
mailboxes and it's not possible to make MailMate automatically show tag
smart mailboxes instead (this is the plan). This was also the subject of
a reply to this mailing list a few minutes ago.