[MlMt] Using Gmail

Gary Hull YH82d7dfU at yandex.com
Fri May 16 04:13:22 EDT 2014

My impression is that MailMate doesn't deal well with Gmail by design,
and there's no plan to natively support Gmail. MailMate is a
standards-based e-mail client that follows the various IMAP RFCs. Gmail
uses an undocumented proprietary fork/hack of IMAP ("GIMAP"). There's
only one developer for MailMate, and he has to prioritize. In addition,
Google could change things at any time and break MailMate, and given the
rumors that the results of the Sparrow acquisition are about to bear
fruit, it seems like it's in Google's interest to "encourage" Gmail
users to migrate to Google's own PC-side client, rather than use other
clients, so if, oops!, stuff "accidentally" starts to break in other
clients that try to support GIMAP, hey, that's the way the cookie
crumbles.

However, in the MailMate documentation there are hacks given for those
who must use Gmail, the first of which is "Don't use labels," the second
of which is "If you do you use labels use one and only one label for
every each and every e-mail," and the third of which is "If you must use
labels as tags and put more than one on each e-mail, get used to a lot
of duplicated e-mails, because GIMAP presents labels as separate folders
to connecting IMAP clients."