[MlMt] Follow-up question on using Spamsieve with Mailmate

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Mon Mar 31 11:52:56 EDT 2014

On Mar 31, 2014, at 10:44 AM, Bill Cole <mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com> wrote:

> It was a hard choice to make, but I handled that (in my case a pile of old Eudora rules that I'd half-translated into TBird...) by just declaring client-side rule bankruptcy and rebuilding from scratch with a mix of server-side delivery rules and a few MailMate smart mailboxes.

I'm glad there are others on the list who remember the "good ole days" with Eudora.  ;-)

> If you have a server-side filtering mechanism available to you and your rules are mainly designed to sort mail into different piles as it arrives, that really makes more sense than having a MUA do the work.

I have a number of accounts, and some of those systems might be able to do server-side rules if they were provided, but they don't give me any sort of way to create those rules.  If MailMate could give me a way to create the server-side rules and then upload them, I'd be fine going through the process of doing the translation.

But I can guarantee you that not all of the systems will have the ability to apply server-side rules, and "smart mailboxes" are -- at best -- only a partial solution to this problem.

It does really pain me to have to apply these rules on the client side, especially since this is one of the things that seems to go so horribly wrong with Mail.app [0], but I don't see an alternative at the moment.

[0] Mail.app frequently hangs on a given account on one server and stops any further processing of any rules for any accounts on any server.