[MlMt] Follow-up question on using Spamsieve with Mailmate

Mon Mar 31 08:23:39 EDT 2014

On 31 Mar 2014, at 5:05, Brad Knowles wrote:

> I have not yet quit using Mail.app, because I have yet to figure out
> how to take all my existing rules and bring them over to MailMate.
> So, at the moment I've got both programs supposedly connecting with
> SpamSieve, and maybe that's my problem.

Yes, this is not good since it'll introduce a race condition. For
example, you could easily end up with duplicates in your Junk mailbox.

> But what I am seeing is that the junk status & score is not being
> updated on the mail messages in the respective junk mailboxes, unless
> I go in via Mail.app and manually feed them back to SpamSieve as
> confirmed spam messages.

3 things can happen when a message arrives:

1. Mail.app sees the message first and tells SpamSieve about it and
moves it out of the Inbox before MailMate sees it. Only Mail.app knows
the score. MailMate just sees the email in the Junk mailbox with the
$Junk keyword.
2. The opposite of 1.
3. Both email clients see the message and tells SpamSieve about it and
both email clients know the score. Depending on the timing they might
both move it to Junk. Not quite sure what can happen, but probably
several different things.

It should not be a problem to only use SpamSieve with one of the email
clients unless you need both email clients to know the score.