[MlMt] Trying to understand tags/folders for GMail

Steve Lianoglou lianoglou.steve at gene.com
Mon Jun 2 09:40:28 EDT 2014

Hi,

Just a question on part of this thread:

On Sun, Jun 1, 2014 at 2:01 PM, Benny Kjær Nielsen
<mailinglist at freron.com> wrote:
> On 1 Jun 2014, at 22:24, Jonathan Clark wrote:

>> Having formed a "_todo" tag, I have gone back and used it to tag a number
>> of the messages in the _todo folder, and I have synchronised and re-started
>> the app. But the "_todo" folder still shows. Am I missing something?
>

> Are the Gmail labels inside another mailbox? In that case the Gmail label
> provided in the Tags preferences pane must include the parent mailbox, for
> example, "[Gmail]/_todo". Perhaps you can get an idea of what is going on if
> you open the Activity Viewer and observe the logging done when trying to
> enable/disable "_todo".

Is every label in gmail meant to go under the [Gmail] mailbox?

I have labels like project/XXX and project/YYY (ie, "project" is the
top level label in gmail (when working through their web interface))
and that's how I specify the "Gmail label" in my "Tags" preference
pane.

This seems to work correctly. When I tag emails locally via mailmate,
the gmail label is added correctly in the gmail web interface.

However I suffer from a similar problem mentioned below:

>> And another issue: when I'm away from the Mac, I will use a variety of iOS
>> apps to triage mail. This includes filing to the _todo folder. When I do
>> this it doesn't seem to add the _todo tag. Is this related to the first
>> issue?
>

> That sounds very likely.

But I see that when I am triaging email in the gmail web interface by
adding labels that are registered correctly (or so I thought) in
mailmate, mailmate won't update the message locally with the newly
applied tag.

I just thought that that was the way of things, but now I'm curious:
should I expect the tag to update in MailMate locally? That'd be nice
:-)

Thanks,

-steve

--