[MlMt] Trying to understand tags/folders for GMail

Sun Jun 1 17:01:17 EDT 2014

On 1 Jun 2014, at 22:24, Jonathan Clark wrote:

>> Benny replied:
>> Yes, you can create the tags “ToDo” and “Waiting” in MailMate
>> and then make sure that they are mapped to your existing Gmail labels
>> “_todo” and “_waiting”.
>> […]
>
> Having formed a "_todo" tag, I have gone back and used it to tag a
> number of the messages in the _todo folder, and I have synchronised
> and re-started the app. But the "_todo" folder still shows. Am I
> missing something?

Are the Gmail labels inside another mailbox? In that case the Gmail
label provided in the Tags preferences pane must include the parent
mailbox, for example, “[Gmail]/_todo”. Perhaps you can get an idea
of what is going on if you open the Activity Viewer and observe the
logging done when trying to enable/disable “_todo”.

> And another issue: when I'm away from the Mac, I will use a variety of
> iOS apps to triage mail. This includes filing to the _todo folder.
> When I do this it doesn't seem to add the _todo tag. Is this related
> to the first issue?

That sounds very likely.

> Is there a way to get this tagging working in iOS?

It should work if you use it as a folder in other email clients (which
ironically is an advantage of the non-standard Gmail behavior since most
email clients do not support IMAP keywords).