[MlMt] Trying to understand tags/folders for GMail

Mon Jun 2 15:41:57 EDT 2014

On 2 Jun 2014, at 15:40, Steve Lianoglou wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 1, 2014 at 2:01 PM, Benny Kjær Nielsen
> <mailinglist at freron.com> wrote:
>
>> Are the Gmail labels inside another mailbox? In that case the Gmail
>> label
>> provided in the Tags preferences pane must include the parent
>> mailbox, for
>> example, "[Gmail]/_todo". Perhaps you can get an idea of what is
>> going on if
>> you open the Activity Viewer and observe the logging done when trying
>> enable/disable "_todo".
>
> Is every label in gmail meant to go under the [Gmail] mailbox?

No, on the contrary. “[Gmail]” is probably best suited,
conceptually, for anything that could be defined as standard folders.
Technically, it doesn't really matter though (I think).

> I have labels like project/XXX and project/YYY (ie, "project" is the
> top level label in gmail (when working through their web interface))
> and that's how I specify the "Gmail label" in my "Tags" preference
> pane.
>
> This seems to work correctly. When I tag emails locally via mailmate,
> the gmail label is added correctly in the gmail web interface.
>
> However I suffer from a similar problem mentioned below:
>
>>> And another issue: when I'm away from the Mac, I will use a variety
>>> of iOS
>>> apps to triage mail. This includes filing to the _todo folder. When
>>> I do
>>> this it doesn't seem to add the _todo tag. Is this related to the
>>> first
>>> issue?
>>

>> That sounds very likely.
>
> But I see that when I am triaging email in the gmail web interface by
> adding labels that are registered correctly (or so I thought) in
> mailmate, mailmate won't update the message locally with the newly
> applied tag.

It'll probably be a while before MailMate notices the change
automatically (especially in the Inbox), but I assume the problem is
more serious than that. If not even relaunching MailMate makes a
difference then there is a problem.

> I just thought that that was the way of things, but now I'm curious:
> should I expect the tag to update in MailMate locally? That'd be nice
> :-)

Yes, and I just tried with a simple tag and it seems to work for me. I
wonder if it might be related to the “project/” prefix. I haven't
tried that.

We can debug the problem off-list if you like. I don't think (hope) that
users in general want to hear too much about [Gmail
quirks](https://twitter.com/mailmateapp/status/471582185074724865) :-)