[MlMt] Smart Mailboxes vs. Filters

Fri Jul 4 03:37:41 EDT 2014

On 4 Jul 2014, at 8:39, Gary Hull wrote:

> MailMate has smart mailboxes. Gmail has filters. For all I know there
> may be mail clients with both. Essentially they are the same thing. A
> filter looks at an incoming message and does something to it. If that
> something involves putting it into a particular (virtual) mailbox,
> then it's the same as a smart mailbox.

Yes, the main difference is that filtering into mailboxes does not allow
an email to exist in multiple mailboxes without making duplicates. Both
smart mailboxes and filtering are useful features, but if possible then
it is best to do filtering server-side.

Note that if you enable the experimental 2.0 features in the General
preferences pane then all mailboxes (IMAP and smart mailboxes) have an
additional pane in the mailbox editor (“Mailbox ▸ Edit Mailbox”)
named “Rules”. This allows you to do filtering (moving messages) and
other actions such a tagging or redirecting.

In other words, MailMate supports both smart mailboxes and filters, but
it might be best to use Gmail filters for most purposes since it happens
server-side.