[MlMt] Smart Mailboxes vs. Filters

Gary Hull YH82d7dfU at yandex.com
Fri Jul 4 02:39:10 EDT 2014

MailMate has smart mailboxes. Gmail has filters. For all I know there
may be mail clients with both. Essentially they are the same thing. A
filter looks at an incoming message and does something to it. If that
something involves putting it into a particular (virtual) mailbox, then
it's the same as a smart mailbox.

But conceptually I'm bothered by having just smart mailboxes for
situations where I want to just send messages to the trash. It bugs me
that I have to have a mailbox for it, even though I can tuck that
mailbox away in a folder. The Gmail way of having a list of filters
seems cleaner to me for send-to-trash situations. Having a smart mailbox
that exists only to show stuff that you don't want to see grates on me.

But I do like the MailMate/Mail.app way for when I want to
collect/isolate particular classes of messages in one handy place.