[MlMt] Initial questions on mailmate

Mon Jan 13 04:56:16 EST 2014

On 13 Jan 2014, at 0:33, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:

>> I tried using:
>
> [...]
>
> ${subject/.*JBIDE-(.*)\)/JBIDE-$1/}
>
> ...but then I realised it won't use the output of the regular
> expression to group with so
> I get multiple duplicate subjects listed anyways ;/
>
> Any way to use regular expression in the grouping or would that be too
> slow/ineffective?

No, the current implementation only allows simple header elements. It
would be slower, but technically I don't think there are any problems
with allowing a format string. It would also allow the use of multiple
headers to take part in the partitioning. It would require a GUI change
though or it would be a low-level-only feature.

But I'm not sure it's the right way to do this. A more general feature
would be to allow the definition of a virtual header to be based on a
format string. This would make your header “transformation”
available everywhere in the GUI. Maybe such definitions could also be
part of bundles, e.g., you could have a “JBIDE” bundle (whatever
JBIDE is) which provides this virtual header automatically. It's harder
to implement though (but somewhat similar to, e.g., the virtual
“Mailer” header). Note that I'm just thinking out loud here -- not
making any promises :-)