[MlMt] Initial questions on mailmate

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 18:33:52 EST 2014

>>> i.e. ${#source.path.noinbox} ? I can see some of these in the dialog
>>> that comes up if I choose "Other..." for 'sub mailbox for each
>>> unique value' but
>>> these has no description thus leaving me a bit guessing at times.
>>
>> No. The `${#source.path.noinbox}` is a bit of a special case (it's a
>> hack). You can use the Statistics layout (View ▸ Layout) to play
>> with values. The tricky part is when to add a prefixed `#` in a
>> format string. This is needed for virtual headers (not real email
>> headers). In some cases two `#` are needed. These are for virtual
>> headers which are never saved to disk. These are implementation
>> details which have leaked into a few features in MailMate, but they
>> are not documented.
>>
>> Note that format strings are (badly) documented
>> [here](http://manual.mailmate-app.com/format_string_syntax). They are
>> actually quite flexible if you know how to use regular expressions.
>
> which regular expression dialect is it ?
>
> I tried using:
>
> ${subject}/JBIDE-(.*)/JBIDE-\1
>
> to have it show a subfolder per unique JIRA number mentioned in
> subject.
>
> But it kept just using the full subject.
>
> What am I doing wrong ?

just after sending it I realised it should be:

  ${subject/.*JBIDE-(.*)\)/JBIDE-$1/}

...but then I realised it won't use the output of the regular expression
to group with so
I get multiple duplicate subjects listed anyways ;/

Any way to use regular expression in the grouping or would that be too
slow/ineffective?

/max