[MlMt] Initial questions on mailmate

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 23:51:50 EST 2014

Hey,

I've just recently found mailmate after having used almost any other
conceivable mail client - most fail to handle my mail load.
If I could combine mail.app with the power user features of mutt I would
be happy.

With mailmate it seems that is actually very close, but I got a few
questions that I haven't been able to find answers to so
I was thinking I would start with those before reporting too many other
issues ;)

A. Is it expected all the buttons are actually just buttons with text on
them instead of a more compact icon ?
Some buttons like Print shows up with an icon but "Send Message",
"Thread" and "Correspondance" is just text buttons.

B. Is there a way to have space bar or just "next unread" (in postbox
binding that is what 'n' does) go to the next folder with unread ?
For now it stays inside the same folder and just "beeps" at me and I
have to go manually click on the next folder. Would
be awesome if this manual step could be avoided.

C. Is there any documentation for the various expressions that can be
used in things like mailbox name format ?
    i.e. ${#source.path.noinbox} ? I can see some of these in the dialog
that comes up if I choose "Other..." for 'sub mailbox for each unique
value' but
    these has no description thus leaving me a bit guessing at times.

D. Is there a way to have submailboxes show up as a tree instead of just
a flat list of folders ?
    "Submailbox for the messages of each account" does it for the first
level, but all other levels are not visible.

E. Is there a way to unsubscribe to certain folders ?
    Background: I have all my emails setup to go to a folder named
'_inbox' which I then use imapfilter to do bulk sorting of my incoming
email into
    folders. This means that it is rather pointless for mail mate to
monitor this '_inbox' folder for mails and just disturbs my workflow
since sometimes
    mail mate pickup the unread in this folder before imapfilter managed
to sort it ..but before I get to click on it imapfilter moves it.
    Thus would be great if I could unsubscribe from this specific
folder, or at least hide it.

I think that is it for now - thanks for a great product! I'm definitely
going to buy it if my testing continues to go well the next couple of
days!

/max