[MlMt] Initial questions on mailmate

Tue Jan 7 05:44:34 EST 2014

On 7 Jan 2014, at 5:51, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:

> A. Is it expected all the buttons are actually just buttons with text
> on them instead of a more compact icon ?

Yes. It's not a design decision (although some users prefer it). It's a
financial issue and my own lack of graphics talent.

> B. Is there a way to have space bar or just "next unread" (in postbox
> binding that is what 'n' does) go to the next folder with unread ?
> For now it stays inside the same folder and just "beeps" at me and I
> have to go manually click on the next folder. Would
> be awesome if this manual step could be avoided.

No, there is no way to do that currently. The best you can do is switch
mailbox using ⌘T or [bind a
key](http://manual.mailmate-app.com/custom_key_bindings) to
[`selectNextMailbox:`](http://manual.mailmate-app.com/key_binding_selectors).

> C. Is there any documentation for the various expressions that can be
> used in things like mailbox name format ?
> i.e. ${#source.path.noinbox} ? I can see some of these in the dialog
> that comes up if I choose "Other..." for 'sub mailbox for each unique
> value' but
> these has no description thus leaving me a bit guessing at times.

No. The `${#source.path.noinbox}` is a bit of a special case (it's a
hack). You can use the Statistics layout (View ▸ Layout) to play with
values. The tricky part is when to add a prefixed `#` in a format
string. This is needed for virtual headers (not real email headers). In
some cases two `#` are needed. These are for virtual headers which are
never saved to disk. These are implementation details which have leaked
into a few features in MailMate, but they are not documented.

Note that format strings are (badly) documented
[here](http://manual.mailmate-app.com/format_string_syntax). They are
actually quite flexible if you know how to use regular expressions.

For the undocumented query language, a useful “hack” is to look in
the following file after creating a smart mailbox:

	~/Library/Application Support/MailMate/Mailboxes.plist

> D. Is there a way to have submailboxes show up as a tree instead of
> just a flat list of folders ?

No.

> "Submailbox for the messages of each account" does it for the first
> level, but all other levels are not visible.

I'm not sure I really understand what you are trying to do. An example?

> E. Is there a way to unsubscribe to certain folders ?
> Background: I have all my emails setup to go to a folder named
> '\_inbox' which I then use imapfilter to do bulk sorting of my
> incoming email into
> folders. This means that it is rather pointless for mail mate to
> monitor this '\_inbox' folder for mails and just disturbs my workflow
> since sometimes
> mail mate pickup the unread in this folder before imapfilter managed
> to sort it ..but before I get to click on it imapfilter moves it.
> Thus would be great if I could unsubscribe from this specific folder,
> or at least hide it.

Select “File ▸ Edit IMAP Account ▸ ...” and then “Edit
Subscriptions”. You can do it locally only or tell the server that the
mailbox is unsubscribed (not all email clients respect that though).

> I think that is it for now - thanks for a great product! I'm
> definitely going to buy it if my testing continues to go well the next
> couple of days!

I can see you didn't need that much time. Thanks for the support!