[MlMt] Rules to archive mail? (How to trigger rule-processing?)

Sun Feb 23 08:55:53 EST 2014

On 22 Feb 2014, at 3:07, Eric Steele wrote:

> From my fiddling with things, I believe the rules fire only when the
> messages arrive in the mailbox. So by creating the smart mailbox
> criteria first, the messages were already in there when the rule was
> created and it didn't consider them to be new. I wound up having to
> fiddle with the criteria, changing it briefly to exclude all of the
> messages. When I changed back the rule fired and archived all of the
> messages that'd reappeared in the smart mailbox.

This is correct. I found out the latter was not a good thing. I was
playing with conditions of a smart mailbox with a rule to move messages
to the trash and I accidentally moved all INBOX messages to the trash (I
recovered the old state although it would be nice with Inbox Zero :-) ).
In the latest test version I've changed it such that changing a smart
mailbox does not trigger the rules of the mailbox.