[MlMt] Rules to archive mail? (How to trigger rule-processing?)

Eric Steele ericsteele47 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 21:07:24 EST 2014

On 21 Feb 2014, at 12:34, Ingo Lantschner wrote:

> On 14 Feb 2014, at 17:09, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:
>
>> And that’s what I did. The latest test release should have working
>> date based smart mailboxes (if my changes work as expected). I’ve
>> also expanded the condition options to include hours and even minutes
>> (seconds seemed to be taking it too far). This also fixes some other
>> date-related bugs, e.g., if any mailboxes were based on a mailbox
>> using date-conditions.
>> Important note: This only works with rules if you create a separate
>> smart mailbox matching the messages you want to move (the rule of
>> this mailbox is then just the move-action). Since you move the
>> messages then this mailbox is always going to be empty, but this is
>> how it works now.
>
> Hi Benny,
> thanks for the update! The moving works, if I select all Messages in
> the Smart Mailbox and click on Mailbox —> Apply Rules. But the Smart
> Mailbox still shows all of the messages - strange ?!
>
> This is what I did:
>
> I created a Smart Mailbox with the condition of not within the last 90
> days and Mailboxes Any *Ingo Lantschner* (different from the Archive
> Mailbox!). This Smart Mailbox was filled immediately after creation
> with the expected messages. Then I added a rule to that Smart Mailbox
> with a similar condition and an action of moving to an other mailbox.
>
> Nothing happens. Mailbox —> Apply Rules moved the messages from
> *Ingo Lantschner* to *Archive*. But they are still visible in the
> Smart Mailbox.
>
> Any idea whey they are still visible?
>
> Is there a way to move the messages lets say once a day, or if I open
> MailMate?
>
> Kind regards, Ingo
>
> --
> Ingo Lantschner

Ingo,

 From my fiddling with things, I believe the rules fire only when the
messages arrive in the mailbox. So by creating the smart mailbox
criteria first, the messages were already in there when the rule was
created and it didn't consider them to be new. I wound up having to
fiddle with the criteria, changing it briefly to exclude all of the
messages. When I changed back the rule fired and archived all of the
messages that'd reappeared in the smart mailbox.

Benny, thanks so much for this feature. I was able to create a rule that
automatically archives New Relic alert emails when the corresponding
alert-ended email arrived. It made my day.

Eric